Monday 4 July 2016

Behind the Book: Ghost Turkey and the Pioneer Graveyard

Ghost Turkey and the Pioneer Graveyard is children’s fiction starring Madison and Sunita, characters who are transgender and gender non-conforming, respectively.

I was inspired to write this book by a friend’s daughter, who is trans. She’s an avid reader who loves watching cat videos and choreographing dance routines. I thought it might be nice to write a funny little book that features diverse gender identities, with her in mind. I started with a trip to the library, where I read a few books from a series she particularly enjoys. That gave me a feel for what kinds of character dynamics and storylines I might create.

Then something strange happened: a hike with my sister. Not strange in itself, but the conservation area we were hiking in happened to have a pioneer graveyard in it. That’s a little unusual. Also unusual: as we were leaving the cemetery, we realized there was a turkey following us! I don’t know about you, but I’d never been followed through the woods by a turkey before. Now, I’m not saying for sure that it was a ghost turkey, but you never know. All in all, that hike was a little spOoOky.

Out of this experience, Ghost Turkey and the Pioneer Graveyard was born. My sister and I jokingly began plotting it as we finished our hike. She’s an elementary school teacher, so she was able to give me pointers about curriculum too. That’s pretty darn helpful. Thanks, Sis!

I also want to give a shout-out to my awesome editor who happens to be transgender, just like my character Madison. Although, unlike Madison, she’s not a huge fan of pickled beets. (I asked.)

Ghost Turkey and the Pioneer Graveyard isn’t a book about “being trans,” particularly. It’s a funny little mystery that features gender-diverse characters. I wrote it especially for those young readers who don’t see themselves represented in a lot of books—and for their friends, siblings, classmates… any young reader, really. Especially if they enjoy a bit of silly fun with their amateur sleuthing.

Ghost Turkey and the Pioneer Graveyard is now available as an ebook and in print. If your local library doesn’t carry it, ask them to purchase a copy!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention this book is available in two versions: Canadian English and American English. Just thought it might be a little easier for young readers if they didn't have to adjust to unfamiliar spellings.

Here are some of the many places you can purchase
Ghost Turkey and the Pioneer Graveyard: CANADIAN ENGLISH
by Foxglove Lee
ISBN-13: 978-1534936843
ISBN-10: 153493684X
(click vendor name to visit the site)
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK
iTunes
Kobo
Scribd
Smashwords

Ghost Turkey and the Pioneer Graveyard: AMERICAN ENGLISH
by Foxglove Lee
ISBN-13: 978-1534943216
ISBN-10: 1534943218
(click vendor name to visit the site) 
Amazon(ebook)
Amazon(print)
Barnes and Noble
iTunes
Scribd
Smashwords

No comments:

Post a Comment